Log in

No account? Create an account

Previous Entry | Next Entry


Okay, so it's been a while. A lot's been going on, but I've been feeling vaguely guilty about not finishing that California report so time I would spend writing I've been doing the usual procrastinative behaviors--sleeping, dithering on the internet, etc. I've been deriving great amusement from customers_suck even though I'm not working right now.

Though I may be soon--that's the big news of the week. After filling out a gazillion applications to a gazillion bookstores and stuff, I got a call from one of them and interviewed on Monday. They might have a full time job doing shelving and stuff, which would be right up my street. They also have potential part time jobs working in the cafe, which would be okay. At this stage, I just need something to put money in my pocket and get me the hell out of the house. So we'll see. They called today; I have an interview tomorrow with the manager proper, so wish me luck.

This weekend I had a lot of fun living the rock and roll lifestyle--i.e. hanging out with musicians and staying out very late. Friday I went out to see some bands and it turned out they all sucked. (I'd heard good things about the headliner, but they were all WRONG.) I had a few drinks in me and I decided to cruise East Atlanta a bit before heading home and ended up in the East Side Lounge (formerly the Fountainhead.) There I ran into Andrew, a musicianly type I know. He introduced me to his girl Beth, his friend Chris and another friend whose name I can't recall. Let's just call him Tallboy, 'cos that's what he was. So we hung out and Andrew bought me a drink and then we went across the street to the EARL and Andrew brought me another drink. So much for driving home. So we all piled in Chris' car and toddled over to Andrew's to go swimming. (No, Andrew didn't mind--he'd extended the invitation in the first place.) I didn't have a swimsuit with me, so I went nekkid. ("Naked is when you don't have any clothes on. Nekkid is when you don't have any clothes on and you're up to something." --Anon.) We frolicked and tossed a beach ball around and then climbed out to drip dry, since nobody brought any towels. Andrew offered us crash space, but Chris decided he wanted to go home, so he dropped off Tallboy at his place and I slept on Chris' couch. Got up around one, Chris drove me back to my car and I made my way home and slept some more.

Saturday I hooked up with Malinda and went to the old homestead to play with her ferrets and catch up on stuff. I've missed her. She was on her way out to a going away party for her friend Leyla at Lenny's (what that used to be Dottie's) and she loaned me some of her spiffy duds so I wouldn't look all underdressed. I was wearing my denim thrift shop shorts and my Elvis "US" 1990 tour shirt. Malinda loaned me a nice black shirt and velvet pants with little sparklies up the side. So we went to Lenny's and said hello and goodbye to Leyla and ended up cutting out before the bands went on so we got a partial refund of our cover. We went to a convenience store to get some overpriced orange juice to add to the vanilla vodka that Malinda had pulled from her supply and then went to a little get-together that some friends of Malinda were attending. The get-together turned out to be in my parents' neighborhood, in a very nice house owned by a rock-n-roll promoter. Vernon, the host, was actually housesitting for the owner while he was away. Yes, we behaved ourselves accordingly. Malinda mixed two vanilla screwdrivers and we settled down at the head of the table where her friends J. and Joseph were.

Joseph I recognize from various places. J. is a musician from Wales who was once in a band of some prominence. He is all kinds of cool people, celebrity status aside. He introduced us to the rest of the table--Vernon, Bobby, Liz, and Jose. We chatted nicely about various things until Jose disrupted things by (a) accusing Malinda of lying when she says she goes through about 30 books a week and then (b) going into a rant about how much Muslims suck and how much he'd like to wipe his ass with a copy of the Koran. No, really, he said that. Bobby said, quite forcefully, that if Jose is going to be that way, he should just leave. Right away. Jose declares that out of respect for Liz (who brought him) and J. (who is, like, famous and stuff) he will do so without punching Bobby's lights out. He then skulks off and we all breathe a huge sigh of relief. We spent a little time talking about the train wreck that just happened before we move on to pleasanter topics. A few of more guests arrive--Misha , Stephanie and some fellow whose name I can't recall, hell I may be missing even more people than that--and we tell them about all the fun they missed.

When I mentioned that my parents didn't live too far from where we were, J. asked "Are they rich?" Malinda replied that, yes, they are, and J. took my hand and teasingly asked when we could announce our engagement. He then remarked that I had very soft hands (gawrsh) and from there he showed his own musician's calloused hands and Malinda had a crack at trying to read his palm. She said she was better with Tarot cards, and the next thing I know we're trundling back to the house so she can pick up a few decks and do some readings. She ends up doing simple three card readings for nearly everybody there. People seem to be pretty satisfied with what she came up with. I thought about asking her to do mine but I figure that, heck, I can get her to do that for me any ol' time.

The party gradually dwindled down to Malinda, Vernon and me and we finally part and head home a little before dawn. I sleep for less than an hour and wake up feeling like a wreck. I do the Catholic thing and then settle back down to sleep.

Sunday was mostly spent horizontal, but Sunday evening people were reconvening at the house from last night and Malinda and I ended up going. This time there were more people than I can keep track of, so if you're reading this for a mention of your name and I forgot you, I'm sorry. This time, people were chopping up food and grilling meat and they served up a delicious dinner that I couldn't eat a bite of 'cos I'd already eaten. Damn. I drank some Coke and poured the rest down the drain so I wouldn't blink all night. We ended up parting ways a little earlier than the night before, partly because it was a school night and we had places to be in the morning, but mostly because the owner of the house arrived a little earlier than scheduled. Eep! Fortunately, he didn't mind too much, he was just a little tired from a long drive. We made friends with the owner's dog, tidied up our mess and cleared out.

Monday was likewise spent mostly asleep. I think I'm finally back on some kind of even keel, so I think I'll try going to bed now.


( 8 comments — Leave a comment )
Aug. 13th, 2003 05:10 am (UTC)
Which bookstore?
Aug. 13th, 2003 03:40 pm (UTC)
Borders. The one on Ponce, not too far from the homestead, which would be nice.
Aug. 13th, 2003 04:00 pm (UTC)
*crosses fingers*
Aug. 13th, 2003 06:40 pm (UTC)
Brenda...tell me that is not...who is that in your icon??

Aug. 13th, 2003 08:35 pm (UTC)
Re: ???
Chow Yun-Fat.

*pets icon*

Who'd you think it was?
Aug. 13th, 2003 08:45 pm (UTC)
Re: ???
y'know...I looked at it and looked at it, and looked at it some more, and I thought maybe it was a very drunk or debauched Karl.

I know, smack me. ;)

Now that I'm looking at him again, he kinda looks more like Andy S.

Aug. 13th, 2003 08:47 pm (UTC)
Re: ???

No, it's not Karl. But that's a fun image-- drunk, debauched Karl. *mmmm*
Aug. 13th, 2003 08:52 pm (UTC)
Re: ???
hehe, yes it is. ;) thought maybe it was from some movie I hadn't seen or something.
( 8 comments — Leave a comment )